Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Baby Names

So my wife is pregnant and we haven't decided on a name.   We're fairly confident that we (and by we I mean my wife) are having a girl.  At least the lack of bits and pieces in the ultrasound would tend to indicate as much.  So for girl names, we have 3 that we are trying out.  Trying them out involves me talking to my wife's stomach and using each name to see which one I like.  Stomach talking is an extremely relaxing activity.  If ever you are stressed, overworked, or otherwise feeling like crap, talk to a pregnant woman's stomach.  You will have a smile on your face in no time.  

I'm not positive, but I think we may have ruled out all three names we were trying.  So tonight's conversation revolved around picking another name.  My vote goes for Leia, as in Princess Leia Organa from the Star Wars movies.  Luke & Leia.  As you can probably guess, my wife is having no part of this.  I think if she actually would agree on this name I would probably chicken out and not go through with it, but because she is so vehemently against it, I continue to press the issue.

We found some names that we liked, but didn't like with the last name.  Weighing in at 11 letters, 3 syllables, and only 3 vowels, the Plankenhorn surname isn't the most lovely of last names.  It was at this point that I began to say out loud my entire family's first, middle and last names, to see if they sounded as retarded as the baby names we were trying out.  I got to the animals (what, you don't give your animals first, middle and last names?) and Cody Davis sounds extremely dignified and mature for a boston terrier with one eye that always looks to the left.

Candi is a fine name for a orange tabby cat that loves to be all up in your business and walk across your pillows at night from 3 am till 5 am, except that Candi is not her name.  My wife informed me that her name is Candice "Candi" Plankenhorn.  All this time, I didn't know her real name.  I felt like I didn't even know my own family anymore.  

The search for a girl name continues.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having children whose names all begin with the same letter...don't get roped into thinking that this is cute, or creative, or any such superlative.